From: Minnesota Library Association / Technical Services Section
To: All members
There's a wonderful opportunity waiting for you. The officers of the section invite, actually we encourage you to submit a proposal to present a session at the MLA annual conference being held October 6-8 in Rochester. To help you get the creative juices flowing, here are topics that have been suggested:
A. How are members involved in digitization projects?
B. Project(s) start to finish
C. Technical services roles in digitization
2. Discovery layers - issues and preparedness (legacy data exposed, preparation and cleanup)
3. MnPALS Plus, AquaBrowser, etc.: using the new interface and how are others using this format
4. Open source ILS's - Evergreen
5. FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records)
7. RDA (Resource Description and Access) - training on new cataloging rules
8. Technical Services 2.0 (internal and patrons) - using blogs, wikis, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
9. Contextual identification
10. The future of cataloging
A. Where are we going?
B. Can we abandon cataloging as more resources move to the web?
Please consider doing this as an individual or with a panel. Pick a topic from this list or come up with your own idea. Then go online to http://www.mnlibraryassociation.org/mlaconference10/sessionproposals to submit your proposal.
If you plan to present at the conference, copy me with the session information (email@example.com) Or, maybe you've already sent in your proposal, please share that with me too. I'd like to keep the Technical Service Section members aware of some of the choices they'll have when they attend the annual conference.
Session proposal deadline is April 23rd.
Marcia Semerau, TSS Chair-Elect